Friday, September 11, 2009

White Wings over America
2009 911 Memorial


A sticker on my van says “We will remember September 11, 2001.

The purpose of White Wings over America is to remember all who died on September 11, 2001, and to honor those who serve and protect us. Today owners of white doves are releasing over 4,300 white doves in 39 states and four foreign countries, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, and New Zealand.

On behalf of the citizens residing in Jones County, Mississippi, and throughout our nation, we offer our thanks to the brave men and women who serve and protect us, who keep us safe from enemies from within and without.

Tonight when I sleep I won’t sleep afraid someone is going to break into my home and do my family harm, I won’t sleep with a pistol under my pillow to protect my home. I sleep knowing there are men and women who are standing watch over us. Police officers are our protectors and friends who put their lives on the line daily. I have two children who are police officers and I myself am a former State Trooper so they are close to my heart.

So sleep well America, our police are standing watch.

Tonight when I sleep I know if my home catches fire that within minutes I will have men and women at my doorstep ready to protect my property and more importantly protect my life at the risk of theirs. Along with the firemen will be emergency medical technicians who stand trained and ready to assist my family in whatever way needed.

So sleep well America, our firemen and emergency personnel are standing watch.

Tonight when I sleep I know that men and women of our military are stationed around the world to protect us from those who would destroy our nation and the American way of life. Almost daily some young, brave man or woman sacrifices their lives so we can sleep well. I honor my father an officer who gave the prime years of his life and served during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. I am touched that my grandson became a U.S. Army Airborne Ranger at the age of seventeen.

So sleep well America, our military is standing watch.

So sleep well America, the valiant men and women who serve and protect us are standing watch.

US Navy Chaplain John Stockstill will now offer a prayer for our police officers, firefighters and emergency personnel, and our military.

After his prayer we will release 21 white rock doves. One will represent our National Motto, an American statement of who we believe in, “In God We Trust”, nine will be then be released and then eleven so we will always remember September 11, 2001.

Speech given by Dr. Rod Smith, September 9, 2009, at South Central Place, Laurel, MS. on the occasion of the first annual 911 memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment